Don’t get me wrong, the CD player/Radio is a great addition to the car, it is a great aid to a long journey and a great healer of frustration and life’s stresses. However I believe that more attention should be made to the distraction of it. I am an advanced driver and I am hugely affected by the stereo and the music which it plays, I believe that the average driver is affected more than we may think.
I challenge any driver to try turning off the music/radio for a day or a week. I believe that it is one of the main sources of distraction, try it and see. I bet that you will be more aware of……
- The engine, its revs and its smoothness or lack of it
- Your surroundings, hearing more, seeing more, less distracted
- How smooth your gear changes are
- Any issues with tyres, brakes and more feeling of vibrations to the car encouraging sympathetic vehicle controls
- Your thoughts and planning
Try it, just once and see if your driving improves…….. Mine does!